Jezebel.com recently had a post about "5 Possible Reasons Why Women's Magazine Sales Are Plummeting" and they listed poor covers, excessive photo shopping, expensive products, irrelevant trivial information, and the internet as major factors they thing the reason women's magazine sales are down. How about the fact that they lie about the very things women look for in these magazines? Or that even people on the inside of the industry admit to extreme hypocrisies and manipulation. Jezebel.com cited this portfolio.com article by Jeff Bercovici, who translated the percentage points to real numbers for example, 124,000 less subscriptions of Cosmo. That's a lot.
Just quickly thinking about it, I think the last point is the best one, and not just because the internet is free but also it's much more specific and in-depth. Ann Marlowe made two good points back in 2000 that
"The problem is that women's magazines depend on the notion that the major signifier of identity is gender, and this is less and less true...What Web browsing suggests is that narrow-casting is the best way to reach most people. "I guess it's just I don't notice the advertisements as much on the internet; maybe it's because at the rate I surf I don't have time to.
1 comment:
I go in phases on magazines. I do like More, for the "mature" woman, and for it's articles. But after a couple of months they seem to blend together. It's too bad they don't have 3 month subscriptions! Or a 12 month subscription with 3 months EACH of More, Real Simple and Oprah. Or some other trio. I bet that would work better. But I think you are right that we see a lot of what's in these magazines on the internet, so they aren't as interesting anymore. I think people only have so much tolerance for reading "light."
Post a Comment