Thursday, June 19, 2008

"In life, as in art, the beautiful moves in curves." Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton

Woman = curves. No matter what category you fit into; let's leave categories out of this space.

It's interesting to note that the female symbol, as seen at the left, represents the hand mirror and comb of the Roman goddess Venus. I'm trying to make this blog about looking at myself, and the women around me, and issues that affect us all. Raising questions, awareness, and eyebrows.

3 comments:

Chantastic said...

i never knew that this symbol represents a hand mirror -- now that's all i see when i look at it! i wonder what the "arrow" of the male symbol represents...

Chela said...

Umm acutally... I think it represents the birth canal, uterus and fallopian tubes, but the mirror works too.

xx Nicky said...

Either way, sounds good to me.

I think beyond the wikipedia explanation of the mirror, I tried to find an authoritative source on this; I cannot remember exactly now where I read it but I remember that since this symbol is also used for the chemical element copper, and mirrors used to be made of copper, historians thought that the symbol looks like a mirror.

Of course it also looks like the female body parts.