"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." - Naguib Mahfouz
First dates are a mixed bag. When I ask around, some people say they love them and all the excitement, while others say they hate them.I'm in the later category, most likely because I've had some pretty bad ones.
Just off the top of my head, there was the guy who talked for TWO hours about himself, and how he was in a cult. His words, not mine. Not to mention I couldn't get a word in even to say I had to use the restroom, let alone go. One guy told me he would take me to church one day. Uhm on the FIRST date? Hi I'm XY, and YOU are a sinner. Those of you who know how I feel about church can have an extra chuckle about that. There was a doctor who said his parents were disappointed he went into internal medicine. When I looked shocked he quickly replied "We'll I'm actually kind of a genius". Check please.
BEST ONE EVER. I almost forgot about this guy I met in college, in an elevator. He asked me out and as we were walking to get a coffee he asked if we could duck into this comic book shop, where he found a D&D table, and PLAYED for about half an hour. Yeah that is a role-playing game about dungeons and dragons. I stood in the corner.
Nobody puts baby in a corner!
All first dates. All last dates.
So one of the biggest things I take note of when I first get to know someone is whether or not they ask questions. To me it is a no-brainier. Apparently men talk about this... but don't always put the plan into action. Show me you're interested in getting to know me. Even if you're not sure, fake it. Thanks.
I recently had a *fabulous* first date, yeah those are stars around the word, and I think I had forgotten how nice it is when someone really wants to know all about you.
This painting is titled First Date by Oleg Zhivetin
4 comments:
I haven't been on a first date in a hundred years but your stories bring back memories. And made me laugh!! Actually, not that different from trying to start up a relationship with anyone in class, at a cocktail party, on the beach, at your new bookclub. Is someone doing all the talking? Shoulden't both sides be asking questions. Yup. It's a two way street.
I think this is your best post yet. Really funny.
as a tangent to your tangent on first dates- are there people out there (like me) who tend to be really clumsy on their first date? I remember once standing at the restaurant waiting to sit down, nervously laughing of course, when I took a step back and scrapped the $#i& out of my heel against the floor boarder thing on the wall.
I toook the biggest breath in I could, tried to keep a smile on..squint back the tears and reply with a lot of mmmhmmms. It was so bad I could feel my nerves screaming at me.
I finally excused myself to the restroom, Where, as I'm sure some of you can relate, I let out a hoooollllly crrrrraaaaapppp. deep breaths over the sink. deep breaths over the sink.....
Yay!
I love your D&D story!!! I have a similar one. This one time I was going to a movie with a guy on the first date, and there were these video games at the theater. Well, one of them was a skiing simulation game, and wouldn't you know, he hopped right on that thing. I mean, that game wasn't even cool enough for the 10 year olds to be playing.
BTW... it was Chris.
LMAO laura. hahaha! ok...maybe i should give guys who like techie, sci-fi, escape reality stuff more of a chance.
Post a Comment