The New Yorker's July 12th issue is causing quite a stir.Depicting Senator Obama wearing a turban and his wife toting a machine gun, illustrator Barry Blitt titles the piece "The Politics of Fear."
David Remnick, the editor of the New Yorker, responded to the firestorm on the Huffington Post defending the cover and explaining the satirical statement they are trying to make.
While I guess I have a gut reaction to flow with the 'tasteless' crew, I'm not versed in the practice of discussing or defending art or free speech. What I think is more interesting than columnist or blogger's reactions is comments from the average folk. Left right and center, people came from all directions on this one. Here are some of the comments that caught my eye...I am Shocked! Outraged! Saddened, even Appalled……….. that the artist left Obama’s Radical Preacher, and Racist Grandmother out of the illustration.
I didn't realize Rupert Murdoch had bought The New Yorker.
Wonderful cover. That captures them both perfectly. Just as I suspected. Let them give each other the terrorist jab and leave us the ____ alone. America, you're going to regret not voting for Hillary!
Considering the kinds of cartoons the New Yorker has run that skewered President Bush over the last 8 years, it's only fair they would do this. A little reminder to all you lefties; the first amendment protects EVERYONE, not just YOU!
Posted 02:09 PM on 07/14/2008
I agree that this cover is tasteless, and I am just as surprised that it is being done by a largely supportive media outlet. What is sad, and this applies to just about every story, politician, pundit, etc.
Why do people always have to apologize for something when you know darn well they aren't sincere.
I respect firm decisions, even if I don't believe in them. I want a leader who is tough and knows how to act fast and decisively. I'm not sure Obama has shown the stones to do so, especially considering how he has dealt with certain "supporters" who are too foolish to edit their own message for acceptability.
Posted by: Brian | Jul 14, 2008 10:04:35 AM
Comment by Newt Ginrich - July 14, 2008 at 1:51 pm