Saturday, August 9, 2008

Unplugging

I've been thinking about technology a lot lately. It's pretty rare I turn my phone off. I try and think about how it must have been before cell phones (of course I existed then), but I can't really remember. Well thats not true. I have a memory of laying on the floor of the family room with my legs up the wall talking for hours with my best friend. In 5th grade. Erica, what were we even talking about ?!

Primarily I suppose the official non-addict reason for keeping it on and with me at all times is that I worry about my family not being able to reach me, or really, that they would be worried that something is wrong. My phone, which I get my email on as well, is a world of instant gratification. Sometimes at work I don't have any reception, so it doesn't show missed calls. People get agitated about that, including me, because now it's as if the "missed call" is a message.

Yesterday I had my cell off for the whole day and instead of being anxious about it there was a strange calm feeling that came. Could I do with out it? Could I go without more than just the cell phone? I don't know if I'm willing to give it up, but I rather liked being disconnected for a while.

Here is a list of reasons to throw away your cell phone.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

i have def. felt like chucking my cell phone from time to time...oh and to answer the question of what we did before cell phones...on the internet (AIM) :)

Emily said...

"Only when the battery dies, and I can't find the charger."


hmmm my life in a nutshell? :)

Emily said...

although I do avoid voice messages... does that count as shutting down like 50%?