Sometimes I really have to wonder how people think some things are okay. Especially in a professional environment. Publicly. In an advertisement. Approved, undoubtedly, by multiple 'intelligent' people in charge of 'things'.
This is disturbing. I don't even want to re-post the picture.
One of the athletes, Jose Manuel Calderon, responded on his website.
How did this 'somewhat loving' idea even come about? My favorite comment yet was on Racialicious:
This is disturbing. I don't even want to re-post the picture.
One of the athletes, Jose Manuel Calderon, responded on his website.
"we made an oriental expression with our eyes and thought it would always be interpreted as somewhat loving. .. some of my best friends in Toronto are from China"Personally I think this is best part of the whole story. It makes me cringe when people say "I know someone/have a friend/boyfriend/college/some random person who is XYZ [in this case Asian]." As if you are doing your part to be kind to those who are of that XYZ group by being their friend. Being defensive only makes you look more ignorant.
How did this 'somewhat loving' idea even come about? My favorite comment yet was on Racialicious:
RJG wrote:There is quite some discussion on weather or not this is offensive etc. Apparently the tennis team also posed in the same fashion on the Spanish Federation Team site, as well. . . Taking it from something that was inappropriate, to sides about who should or shouldn't be offended? Classy.
I wish I was at that shoot.
“Okay everyone! TIME TO LOOK ASIAN!”
Argh.
1 comment:
Chris said that the NBA is thinking about suspending the NBA players on the Spanish Olympic team when they get back to the US
Post a Comment