Friday, August 15, 2008

Friday's Tangent: Talkative

Hi folks,

Some of you may have noticed that on Fridays I have veered off the curvy path of talking about women (although to be honest this isn't a hard and fast rule) and mention something related to men (see tangent tag). As someone who has been a lucky contestant on the dating game for a while, I have in general stuck to dating encounters on these posts. Today all I have to say about dating is that it's an adventure. . . today, words escape me.

Now, especially for those who know me in person, you might know that it's not like me to not have things to talk about. One might say it is related to me being female.

If one is, say, sexist.

(Honestly you might say it's genetic if you knew my father... but that's not the point I'm trying to get across.)

I found an interesting article on NPR.com about the stereotype that women like to talk more than men. It's apparently not true. After studying a group of almost 400, an article published in Science, one of the most if not the most reputable scientific journals, quantified that
...women speak a little more than 16,000 words a day. Men speak a little less than 16,000 words. The difference is not statistically significant.
I love when stereotypes are challenged. We may talk about different things, but apparently Chatty Chris is out there too.

So yeah, today, someone else can do the talking. Male or Female!

xx


3 comments:

Chantastic said...

"not statistically significant" -- i love it ;)

Emily said...

I like today's post. I have nothing else to say ;)

Laura said...

I remember hearing/reading that when women and men are together that men do more of the talking, women do more of the nodding, smiling and laughing. Interesting ...