Saturday, August 23, 2008

Being realistic

Sometimes you think something will be new and different. It smells like pie, but it ends up being wheat bread. I love wheat bread, but it goes stale after some time. Maybe pie isn't what you're looking for either, a little too sweet for your own good, but you eat it quick enough for it not to end up molding over.

Let's take for example, running. If I haven't run in a while I get out there after some time of not doing it, and in most cases I remember I love jogging. It helps clear my head, I feel good afterwards, I sleep better, etc. In the most extreme cases (usually involving perfect weather), I feel like running is the greatest thing going, like it could help solve all my worries. But then, after some time, usually one of two things happens. I either get bored while I'm running and I stop and walk, which then I feel doesn't count, and it makes me want to bail on running next time OR I over do it and hurt myself. Either way I'm disappointed -- running goes stale.

You read all these things about how great running is -- it's whipped cream with a cherry on top. Running has great benefits, but it has caveats that I forget about until - boom - there they are. I tend to ignore the aches and cricks until its too late. But maybe I should find a type of exercise, stress relief that I can really count on. I can stick with. Something where I don't feel bad if I can't sustain perfection.

You feel me?

No comments: