Thursday, August 7, 2008

I read somewhere...


1-in-32
The odds of a woman delivering twins. Her odds of delivering multiple births of three or more babies was approximately 1-in-534.

That seems like a whole lot of twins... how come I don't see more of them running around?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the incidence of twins is much higher in the past 20 years or so because of multiple births from fertility treatments. I wonder if the 1/32 includes that? Twins are more noticable in school today than they were when I was a kid. I don't remember one set of twins in the town where I grew up. Yet, each of the past 3 years, I've had at least one set of twins in my classes in WH, so to me the increase is quite noticable. My g-grandmother was a twin! So it's in the family.

Anonymous said...

I have 3 friends who had twins without fertility tx. One pregnant with identical twins. And 4 friends with twins because of fertility tx. Beyond that we see twins around a lot. I think it may have something to do with the crowds you travel with. I also heard that as a woman ages, there becomes an increasing likelihood of fraternal twins.

Anonymous said...

It's Laura G, I didn't mean that to be anonymous.