Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Adjectives to describe yourself?

Last weekend I was visiting with a dear xx friend of mine who I go way back with, and we were having a drink with her xy friend. As the alcohol started to flow we got into those "get to know you better questions," one of which was the following:

What would be the adjective you would like to be described as?

Now we got a little tripped up on the phrasing, what would be one adjective that you want to be but aren't, or that you are described as and it is the most flattering, etc. In the end we decided on what you want to be described as but aren't.

xx said she wanted to be described as "radiant".

xy said he wanted to be described as "dangerous".

Maybe it was the mixed company, but I felt like the conversation fell into the realm of stereotypical answers, even though both of them were extremely interesting and intelligent -- decidedly not stereotypical.

I asked around some other women and edifying, spontaneous, determined, courageous and enthusiastic came to mind.

Finding one word to describe yourself is a difficult task, especially if you think in terms of what you would like to be. What type of person you want to be.

While there are lots of things I would like to embody, I think balanced would be a word on the top of the list right now.

1 comment:

Elyssa said...

i want to be "in control"