Bossy brought it all back for me today.
My folks drove me 5+ hours. Lots of lifting, sweating, two other roommates and bunked beds. I was so anxious to be on my own and not to cry that I shooed my parents away as quickly as possible. GO mom! Don't cry.
Then I sat down on my extra long mattress. In silence. Everyone's parents were around helping them get settled, going out to dinner, going to wal-mart to get last minute plastic containers.
Then I not only missed them instantly but felt completely ungrateful for having them haul me 5 hours there and hurrying them out Not sharing with them what seemed like the most important day of my life. Then I cried.
Why didn't I let my parents stay with me? I just wanted to be cool like everyone else. I just wanted to be independent. But I wasn't ready yet. I still needed them. I still need them almost ten years later.
I have the best parents a girl could ask for. Thanks for putting up with me.
xo
It's that time of the year. Breezes and packing. It's been a while since I was "heading back to school," but as I laughed almost to tears reading Bossy's entry, I thought about my first day of college. I remember very little from that day, only one part very vividly. Feeling like a total a$$hole.Which is what today's ten-word challenge is all about: in exactly ten words, can you tell Bossy what you remember about your first day of college?
And if not college—what were you doing instead?
My folks drove me 5+ hours. Lots of lifting, sweating, two other roommates and bunked beds. I was so anxious to be on my own and not to cry that I shooed my parents away as quickly as possible. GO mom! Don't cry.Then I sat down on my extra long mattress. In silence. Everyone's parents were around helping them get settled, going out to dinner, going to wal-mart to get last minute plastic containers.
Then I not only missed them instantly but felt completely ungrateful for having them haul me 5 hours there and hurrying them out Not sharing with them what seemed like the most important day of my life. Then I cried.
Why didn't I let my parents stay with me? I just wanted to be cool like everyone else. I just wanted to be independent. But I wasn't ready yet. I still needed them. I still need them almost ten years later.
I have the best parents a girl could ask for. Thanks for putting up with me.
xo
1 comment:
I can't believe that I have only the vaguest memories of my first day of college. A lot of memories about my first weeks ... but those first moments ??? I know that it was VERY strange.
But what strikes me most about this post is how much I hope that my kids feel about me the way you feel about your parents. That would be the best.
Post a Comment