Sunday, September 13, 2009

uhmm..... about being positive

I've failed every single day this week.

It is actually pretty difficult to be positive. Especially since we have a culture of not only describing our gripes, but reemphasizing someone else's gripe.

Example:

Someone else: Uhg I saw my ex today...
Me: f-him. He treated you awfully and he's not worth your time.

Now instead I could say ... actually what do I say? How do I turn the negative into a positive? Positive: well at least you didn't see all your exs today!

Ha. Toughie.

Uhg. Everyday I have to start over. It's going to be a long "week".

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Okay! So interesting about this. Because in work this year we're really trying to focus on using positive language, and it is SO HARD. Like I'm supposed to say, "We walk for safety," instead of "STOP RUNNING!" And what's interesting about it is that I've found I'm actually giving the children good information, instead of just saying, "KNOCK IT OFF" all the time. But it's incredibly difficult. I don't know how this applies to adulthood. I guess when a friend says, "I saw my ex," you could say something like, "You're stronger without him," but that's still sort of negative.

xx Nicky said...

Exactly! it still has a negative connotation.... but I guess it is better than nothing.

Anonymous said...

Heh, I'm a bit late with catching up on this blog, but how about, "Wow, I've learned so much from and since my time with you, and I'm so much better off now. I won't make those mistakes again."?

On a related note, I hope this week goes a lot better for you!