Someone recently commented on my 101 things to do before I'm 30 list, and I was re-reading it this morning and realized I need to get on it!
Some I could do right now, instead of writing this entry, but one I thought I would attempt, starting today.
Go a week without saying anything negative
My mother was recently recounting some stories about my great grandmother and how she was a very simple woman. She would bring a piece of toast and a hard boiled egg and a jar of black coffee (because that was an old school thermos) with her when we went to the beach and was happy as a lark. My mother particularly emphasized that she did not remember Nanny, as I called her, complaining. Ever. Of course Nanny spoke almost only Italian, and my mother only English, so maybe there were some things lost in translation, but still.
Today I will attempt to start a no-negative-comments week. It is going to be tough, I fall back on jokes regularly, and I'm pretty sure making fun of others or myself should be included in the negative comments category.
1 comment:
My grandmother also ate a piece of toast, a slice of ham, and a cup of tea every night for dinner. she was so, so austere and simple, but she was a really good person and never needed much to be happy. it is inspiring. she was also not negative, although she was pretty harsh if you thought you were an idiot. ;)
Post a Comment