Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Addiction and Intervention

I cannot remember how long ago it was when my friend told me about this episode of Intervention about a girl who was addicted to huffing, but it was pretty much the most horrifying thing I've seen. I could not stop talking about it. Literally for weeks. Disturbing.
It happened to coincide with finding out a kid who was a camper at an overnight camp when I was a counselor, had died of a heroin overdose at age 17. It was a rough week.

Here is a snippet, but you were warned - and mom, don't watch this.



Jez reported today that Intervention had a follow up, and she's been sober for a year now!
I couldn't find the clip, but you can view part of it on Jezebel.

Studies show that women in treatment relapse less frequently than men, partly because women are more likely to engage in group counseling.
Hanson, G. R.. 2002. New insights into relapse. NIDA Notes. 17:3. National Institute on Drug Abuse. National Institute of Health. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

I wish her all the best.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I saw this one too, more than once now. It's super disturbing. She had has a really tragic life. It's amazing to see the before and after treatment, she looks like a different person!

xx Nicky said...

Sara, Thanks for the warning. I WON"T watch it. A kid in Avon had his hands amputed this week because of damage from huffing. I think he was in middle school. I guess you signed on to my computer so this comment will say Nikki, but it' really me, your mom.