Now by started, I mean actually started to like.
In high school and throughout college I had to run. For swimming cross training, and other sports I played... but I didn't like it. I hated it. I had asthma and I never really believed I could jog. I think it was mostly psychological, honestly. I would start to think about my asthma, and then thinking about it would escalate my anxiety about it and then I would be gasping for air.
That and I was super slow. I felt that if I was going to be able to jog I needed to be able to keep up with someone. I dreaded it.
Then I started with a clean slate. With the help of a slight heartbreak, and a great soundtrack to listen to, I said ok, I'm going to ease into this. No one is pushing me, I don't have to do any running, I just want to learn how to enjoy it. So I started out with a gym membership at a gym across the street from where I lived. Lucille Roberts was having some crazy promotion, so I told myself I'd join and PAY for it until I could run two or three miles.
I started out going 5 days a week. Now I know what you are saying. 5 days a week? Huh, ease in to it! No wonder you don't like it. No. 5 days a week I started out at 5 minutes on the treadmill. Just 5 minutes. I'd come in at 435, and leave at 440. I did 5 minutes for a week. The next week I did 6 minutes a day... weeks passed, and when I reached 13 or so minutes a few months later I jumped up to 20 minutes. I was so excited that day, I may have called my NYU swim coach up on the phone. Honestly when I ran for that first 20 minutes straight, I felt like I could do a marathon.
Fast forward six years later. I signed up for the Chicago Marathon today.
I have technically signed up for two marathons in the past. Portland Maine, and Portland Oregon. One I ended up doing the half, and one I got injured my back, and did not recover for over a year, so needless to say I'm hesitant. But I'm going to take it slow. 35 weeks of slow and steady.
So I'll start again. And hopefully I'll be able to scratch it off my list.
3 comments:
I loved your story. Good for you! I'll be at my 40th highschool reunion, or I'd come to cheer you on!
Haha - we were JUST talking about this yesterday. I think that your "just 5 minutes" approach is so brilliant. There is no reason to be scared of just 5 minutes of running!!! Maybe I should try that!!!
wow! This is quite a challenge...
I wanted to do the NY marathon last year and failed in the discipline.
I am sure you will get it! Good luck!
Post a Comment