Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The proverbial 'Catch up'

You know how you have those friends, who, even if you don't see them often, you can sit down at a coffee shop and talk the whole day away. Like a tunnel, you don't even notice what's going on around you because its just so good to talk to someone who really knows and cares about you. Love those people!

This blog entry isn't about them. It's about people you at one point really cared for or had a great relationship with, but for some reason now you dread the catch up phone call.

I've been thinking about this because lately, for the last few years or so my life, things have been fairly consistent; an xy hiccup at the end of last year, but besides that not a lot has been so-called "news worthy". Nothing to start a blog about ;)

"Over the last year so much has happened! I died my hair, I'm still doing the same job, I still jog occasionally. I still have allergies... so enough about me, what about you?" This is what I'd like to call the SSDD catch up. Same $h!t, Different Day.

Why is it with some friends, you can turn SSDD into burning away your minutes or closing the bar down and with others you hope he/she doesn't catch you checking out the clock. Or even worse, that part in the phone call where the other person pauses, and you mistake it for the end of what they are saying and you say "Well... its been good-" and they start in again. Woops. Awkward.

Is it that you've grown apart? Is it that you don't have the energy you used to to catch as many people up? Is it you? Is it them?

I have one such situation going on right now... and I'm not going to lie, the other person knows what's up. The thing is, if they needed me, I'd fly across the country for them but it's almost worse when I realized how little we have in common anymore. We're doing the phone tag thing, they don't pick up but you leave a nice message, joking about how we'll be able to talk one of these days. We've had three awkward conversations in the past three years (including one in person) before the missed phone calls started. I tend to think that maybe thats the best thing for us right now. I know they care, and it's the easiest way to express it, even if right now it's difficult beyond that.


BTW: 9/8/6/5/7 ... thats how many push-ups I did today. It was rough and I'm not going to lie, when I'm down there on my toes and hands it makes Downward Dog look very appealing. On Monday (7/7/5/4/7) I thought I felt my abdomen literally tear on the second to last set. That made today's 9 and 8 very uncomfortable because I'm still sore down there. But 6 and 5 weren't that bad. Forward soldiers.

2 comments:

Chantastic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chantastic said...

we're more than half way through week one of the hundred pushup challenge! ;)

M: 10/10/8/8/10
W: 12/12/10/10/10