Monday, June 23, 2008

Curve envy? More like curve support.

Maybe you've experienced this. You catch someone looking at you, directing their attention to something on your body. It doesn't matter what they are looking at, but a flash of insecurity might lead us, or at least me, to wonder what they are looking at. If you aren't familiar with this experience, don't worry it's not something you're missing out on. I checked with a fabulous XX I know and she confirmed my gut feelings, that this is a common phenomenon.

I see it as fundamentally two issues:

First, why is the person looking at you? I asked myself, why do I look at other women? To compare? To judge?

Secondly, why do we care?! This other fabulous woman I asked said that "if someone is looking at me, either there is something wrong or they're admiring me" and that her instinct was to be nervous in either situation; I generally agreed.

I won't elaborate, because I'm sure you have thoughts on the subject yourself, but the reason I was thinking about this was that I experienced this twice this weekend. The first was exactly as I described. I was dressed up, looking cute, if I do say so myself. I caught someone looking in my general midrift section. I looked down, everything looked generally okay, but the draft of doubt briefly chilled me. A glass of wine helped promptly forget about it.

The next day I was jogging late in the afternoon and I past a group of young women sitting on a bench. Two of the four women looked over at me. Actually staring would be the more appropriate description. A quick flutter of thoughts passed through my head as to why they might be staring; was a piece of my clothing bunching? Was the mascara residue from a rowdy night before running? Then, in that instant when its been too long to look at a stranger they don't know, they both raised their hands to waive, smiling as they did. Uncoordinated, and not motivated by anything; just a small gesture, I assume, to encourage me as I was jogging though the muggy afternoon. Oddly enough, it was an unexpected, unspoken complement; thanks ladies.

3 comments:

Chantastic said...

what a great topic! whether i'm a victim of curve envy, or feeling curve envious of another XX, it's no fun at all. for me, giving curve support (in the form of curve compliments or, as you experienced on your jog, a simple smile) usually nips my curve envy in the butt. i wonder what other XXs do to alleviate curve envy...

xx Nicky said...

Interestingly, another blog I occasionally check was just discussing something similar

http://bernthis.blogspot.com/2008/06/people-people-who-watch-people-are.html

slightly different...

Emily said...

Have you ever seen women on the Stairmaster, their booty swaying from side to side, and you know, you think to yourself, is she serious? (Rolling your eyes). Well yesterday I was on the Stairmaster and guess what- my hips were all over the place- that’s just the nature of the machine. So I thought to myself, next time why don’t I take a second before I judge other women. Curve Support is a much nicer way to approach the situation: I should have thought-"look at her, kicking some booty on that machine! Work it out, girl!" :)