Saturday, June 21, 2008

Ahead of the curve

I just found out that my freshman year roommate from college, (you know one of those people who know so much about a time in your life where you are trying to figure yourself out, it's pretty much embarrassing) started a non-governmental organization with some of her high school friends in Zambia.

The organization is called KnowledgeBeat and it is working on four main goals: providing basic resources for education, providing professional and community development for teachers and local education systems, creating programs for the advancement of younger females, and providing environmental education programs.

It really knocks the wind out of you when someone you know has the cojones to up and do something to make a difference is a very direct, but possibly extremely difficult, way. Especially someone you know, it makes you thing... why isn't that what I am doing? I try to think what is the *best* way I can make someone else's life better.

They blog about it here.

No comments: