I love books. Novels, cookbooks, textbooks. I go through phases where I read books for pleasure, usually before I go to sleep at night. I like to go to the bookstore and wander through the whole store; it gets pricey, but there is something fun about bringing home a book you're excited about. My mother is part of a book club, and I always like to know what they are reading, I guess I feel safer reading a book someone else recommended to me. Book clubs and bookstores are great, but recently I've been introduced to two sites I love.
My cousin Whitney invited me to join Goodreads, a social networking site (like facebook) for readers. You can add books, rate them, write reviews, and see what your friends are reading. Definitely a great way to keep track of what you've read, and what you want to read.
A second interesting site I found is PaperBackSwap. This site effectively arranges for people to mail each other books that they don't want anymore, free. Apparently as of today they have over 2 million books listed. I quickly searched vegetarian, and there was 338 hits, the first ten being mostly cook books, so they don't just have novels on the site. Check it out...
3 weeks ago
4 comments:
goodreads is great!
I was just pondering the beauty of my bookclub last night. I really love mine,but at the start I was concerned because I am pretty reserved and knew only the woman who invited me in (it was a startup, so I think this helped.) If you think about it, there are not many opportunities for face to face exploration of ideas and issues outside of the classroom, but a bookclub turns out to be one. People,generally, are afraid to voice their opinions or maybe they just don't know how anymore.I think that might be it. Everyone is cautious and it does take practice to be a good conversationalist and not a lecturer. Discourse about ideas is what we need! The bookclub has turned into a great discussion forum, and not just about the book. We always springboard into talk of the human condition, politics, schools, the war and it goes on and on. Three hours or more fly by too quickly. While blogs, email, text messages and ipods serve their communication purposes, think about adding a bookclub to your life.Not for the book, but for the gift of time set aside to just talk at length with people whose ideas vary, but whom you have come to respect and enjoy.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/SummerSizzle/story?id=5272523&page=1
I have a hilarious book I have been meaning to let you borrow for a long time!!! Remind me!
Post a Comment