My best friend is always catching me up on the synopsis of the last 15 books she read about fertility or domesticated animals or god, and I feed off her excitement about a book.
I've mentioned in the past that my mother has a book club, and I'm always asking her what they are reading, because I'm always looking for something new. I kind of wish I was in the book club, but don't want to a) cramp my mom's style and b) be the one who always didn't finish the book on time, because I've got a lot going on right now, but to be honest I have a nasty habit of reading multiple books at once and occasionally not finishing one or all of them.
It is still great to get suggestions, so sometimes I read the book the group is reading on my own, and then get the round up tidbits.
So just now I read about Women's Bioethics Project book club:
In short, we’ve created the Women’s Bioethics Project Book Club program to engage, educate, and empower women. We want to make bioethical issues relevant and then provide the support you need to thoroughly examine the issues and then take action to make your voice heard.Even if you don't want to take action, I think this is a great way to become aware to issues effecting us as women. Not to mention read a few great books, for example the current book is The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, which is one of my favorites.
The issues to consider are enormous and cover a broad spectrum, from stem cell research, cloning and “designer babies” to physician-assisted suicide and other end-of-life issues.
Photo: Madrid, December 2003, book sculpture
No comments:
Post a Comment