Sunday, January 24, 2010

watching a disaster take place.

It has never happened, until today.

I'm siting in a new hair dressers watching the guy cut my hair, and I realize he's going to really f*** it up. It was like watching a car accident, so I politely asked to get out of the car.

Well not really, I asked him to stop cutting there. I have slightly subtle bangs that lean towards my left ear. I had asked him to trim them. So he was trimming, and then continues on down the side of my head. I may have let him go with it if there wasn't an obvious shelf right at the part where my old bangs hung. So as he starts down with the razor (this has never made me feel good in any case), I asked him to stop. He objects although not strongly as I think he can see he's made the mistake I can see. I told him I don't like the hair to sweep around my face. I just wanted the bangs trimmed. So he starts to try to blend in the part he's continued on with. I ask him to just blow it dry and finish up. Then he took the better part of an hour blow drying all the parts of my hair except the bang region. Silence. He turns the chair away from the mirror as he finished up the bad area.

I realize that being a hair cutter must be difficult, the client closely scrutinizing your every move. Well it's pretty awful being the one there in the chair as well.

I got to the front counter, and checked out of the damage. Two clear shelfs, from where my old bangs and where the new trajectory took him. AWFUL. I felt nausea. I'm not even sure why he asked me how I liked it because I freaked, "I don't really know what to do with this? It's not even, or blended ?" I probably looked like I was going to cry. Then another stylist who had been standing nearby said she would fix it. My stylist started to say "you said you wanted me not to blend it... " or something defensive, but I think the other people who were standing there realized it needed to be fixed before I left there.

She made things a little more angled and shorter, and also showed me how to wear my hair on the other side. She tried her best.

Uhg. I don't care for getting my hair cut.

6 comments:

lemon said...

I'm so sorry! That totally stinks. Just take matters into your own hands. I trim my bangs myself every few weeks or so. You will always get the look you want.

Erin Hall said...

great. this is not good. parting ways with my hair dresser of 8 years makes me want to cry after reading this! we WILL find a better hair dresser in SD!!

Amy Hodgman said...

I so feel your pain and I must say that I am so impressed that you asked him to stop. I had all my hair chopped off almost two years ago and I said nothing. Then I left and cried hysterically and then 5 minutes later as I got into my car I made a hard turn and got a flat tire. YIKES. It will all get better - that's all I can say.

Laura said...

I can't believe he actually turned the chair!! Did he think you wouldn't notice? And, I'm also impressed that you stopped him and were direct about your opinion. Did you have to pay?

xx Nicky said...

ahh, I cannot believe you trim your own bangs! You've got a super cut hair style too. Hum. The last time I trimmed them may have been in middle school and may have ended with tears and begging of my parental units to let me stay home sick from school for a month.


Laur- I had a conditioning and a haircut and they comp-ed the haircut. That was nice, since I felt they recognized he messed up. Definitely the turning of the chair was the last straw. He spent probably close to 45 minutes blow drying my hair. I was like... yeah it's not going to make it better.

Laura said...

Maybe you gave him some of your stomach cooties ...

Not that I'd wish evil on him, but it would have been nice if he was just honest and apologized.