Today, after just under four months, I met my first neighbor. Her name is Esther, and she was waiting for the elevator.
I've passed people at the elevator, but she was the first to mention that she noticed I was new. She also threw in a bit about how much I looked like my sister (who I guess she saw a few weeks ago when Em was here). She pulled a individually wrapped brownie out of a bag, noting she made them for her coworkers, and welcomed me to the building.
Her friendliness woke me up as I was walking to the bus stop. It also coincided with the fact that I was slightly annoyed because I could hear my neighbors last night -nothing too loud or too late, I just noticed it. As I was approaching her, I was remembering that fact, thinking about it negatively. As soon as she smiled and spoke to me I realized things like that don't matter.
There is nothing greater than a random act of kindness. It also reminds me that when I'm in a bad mood, short tempered, or impatient it affects everyone around me, even those I don't really know. Slow down and say hi to your neighbors.
4 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment