Saturday, March 7, 2009

Tangent: Asking a woman out

Asking a girl out is seems to me to be a no brainier. But in case there is any males who read this blog (doubtful) or you know one who needs to be EDUCATED.

Read this blurb from Friday I'm in Love, (she is so dead on I'm going to re-post most of it).

Here is some advice for boys who want to date girls: Ask girls out on dates.

We rarely say no to a first date when the asking is done properly.

And if you want to ask properly, you just have to follow a few simple rules.irst, use the telephone. Texts, email, gchat, etc. are all too informal and, honestly, a little wimpy. I suppose asking in person is fine, but this makes everyone a little anxious. The phone is better because it shows you were thinking of your girl even when she’s not around.

Second, use this simple formula:
A [I was wondering if you would like to]
B [ have dinner]
C [with me]
D [at Gemma]
E [on Tuesday night]?


She goes on to explain the formula check it out.

I think I've had this conversation with some of my girlfriends countless a few times. And just to reiterate: texting is the downfall of the dating relm! (that being said, I'm more addicted to texting, than I am to [what I gave up for lent])

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laugh when people ask women out via e-mails and whatnot - I'd rather crash and burn with style than tip-toe around things. I figure, if anything, she's either not interested already, in which case the answer is inevitably now regardless of the manner in which you ask her out, or the fact that you are so lame as to use e-mail to ask a girl on a date dooms your chances. Statistically, 'tis better to ask her out directly. ;-)

Just thought I'd put forth a guy's perspective on things. Additionally, it's curious to read that a phone is better than face-to-face. I'd always figured that in person was best, but I can see the other point of view.

Since you're tossing out dating advice, though, what's your take on the subsequent step? If a guy asks you to dinner, who gets the bill? I've heard countless differing opinions!

xx Nicky said...

"I'd rather crash and burn with style" - I like you already.

I think with anyone it is a kind gesture to treat, and I'm always flattered, no matter who the company.
Personally I usually offer to split it, but I don't insist. If it isn't the first time out, and he's paid before, I've offered to treat as well. But I've done that with casual friends as well.

harper & beatrix said...

the email thing-- it's also easier to turn someone down in an email. it's harder to say no to a voice.

and crashing and burning with style is always admirable.

~b