Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tangent: Dwelling

My professional life is about to hit a fork in the road. Decisions need to get made.

Luckily my sister, and a few other people I know are in the same place, so there are plenty of people to talk to.

While I have to admit it is a little bit scary, I tend to be the type of person who looks forward to new directions. I'm not the type of person to shy away from change. Worst case scenario -- well, I never really feel like there is a worst case scenario. If I end up working as a waitress or a nanny or a mail-woman, so be it. I'll try and make the best out of it. Things could always be worse, right? Those aren't things I plan on doing, not what I want to do, but I try and find something I like out of things I have to do.

The thing is I've done it before. I've made major decisions and I haven't looked back.

While I'm usually confident that in the future things will work out with my professional life, sometimes I dwell on personal relationships and how they will work out in the future. I've recently had a difficulties with a very close friend. I haven't been able to contact her, I'm worried, and it is consuming me. I can't let it go. My mind is a flood of questions. It is the same with intimate relationships that go wrong. Seeing someone you at one point considered spending the rest of your life with can rewind you back a whole year in an instant. Doubt can be a unavoidable distraction, and can lead to over-analysis of the situation. In these situations, sometimes it is hard to swallow the "things could be worse" mantra, even if rationally you know they could be.

I'm not saying I'm not optimistic about the future of my personal relationships, but sometimes I let my thoughts drift backwards, where as I never do when it comes to my professional life.
All of these things we approach with the same tools: our interests, our intelligence, our passion, and care. Our professional life can have as much an impact on our happiness as a friend or a loved one. So why is it so different?

Maybe it would be easier to just have our memories erased.

Nah. For me at least, it is better to have loved...

[I won't say and lost in the case of my friend because I'm not ready to give up on her].


Oddly enough I saw this posted through swissmiss.com today.


from Roland's Photostream on Flicker

1 comment:

Chantastic said...

oh my, how i feel you on this one!