Monday, September 29, 2008

Not really an over-share, but a personal moment

Have you ever been in the situation where someone you don't know shares something personal with you, and it's unexpected?

Recently I was out at a bar with a whole group of people, and someone I know under the context of "colleagues" was sitting next to me. We have a bunch in common and have known each other for a couple years now, but we haven't gotten past the fine line that separates someone you see at work versus someone you would call to, lets say, go see a movie, go jogging, go to the outlets with.

Well we were talking about the standard stuff, how hard work is, our bosses, our plans for the near future. Then this xx said something very sensitive about her personal life. One of those things that you might think about but wouldn't really say out loud. It was a rare occasion where it wasn't an over-share, but maybe she sensed that I was the type of person who could understand. In other situations, especially when there is alcohol involved, it hasn't quite been that way, and often you find yourself nodding yes and thinking "S*it, how do I respond?"; that happens more often than not.

That made me think about who I confide my most personal thoughts with, and while I've always been good at sharing, there are different levels. How many people do you put in the "I'd tell them whatever I needed to get off my mind."



No comments: