Monday, September 22, 2008

Letters you never meant to send

This postcard was sent to the PostSecret project, and posted this week.

My heart skipped a beat, not because I was nervous but I felt nervous for the stranger.

I'm an avid 'drafter', by this I mean whenever I have to say or write out something serious, I write it in an email (just because thats the easiest thing to keep track of) first and let it sit. If I'm angry or unhappy with someone I get all of my feelings out there. Say everything that needs to be said, in no uncertain terms.

Most of the time I never send the email. I go back to the email the next day and realize how not-a-big-deal the issue actually is. That or I try and think about how the other person will read it, which is easier after you've completed the draft. Usually if it is important, I've thought it over while letting it marinate, and come to better terms. In the case where you're trying to make the other person understand how you feel, there are usually many different approaches, so sometimes this process takes time.

Occasionally, I blurt things out, when it's been too long and I haven't properly thought how I want to approach the situation, but that usually backfires.

ANYWAY, the postcard made my heart skip a beat because what if the person who wrote it never really intended for Rachel to read it. I can think of a hundred scenarios. Love is irrational, so maybe if I found the letter, I would have sent it along as well.

Good luck stranger.



1 comment:

Emily said...

and then Rachael calls you up and is like "hi, I got your letter," and your like WTF? I can't imagine how confused the guy must have been