Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday's Tangent: Booty re-call

The other day I was talking about what a great idea it was to take pictures of mementos you don't want anymore, instead of letting them collect dust inside a dresser drawer. Today on the same note, but more specifically related to mementos from a past relationship, I've borrowed the title and subject from The Smoking Gun's entry on Anne Hathaway.

It seems, rather unfortunately, some gifts given to Ms. Hathaway by a ex were "recovered" by the FBI as they pertain to a case said xy was involved in. Talk about bummer, break up, media hyper attention, and loss of jewelry!

Then I thought about it a little more... and wondered what do you do with all of those "reminders" of a relationship that basically failed, for lack of a better term. Maybe she was all to glad to get rid of it...

With out delving into celebrity gossip (which is a bad habit of mine), I wanted to discuss this on a more practical level, taking jewelry as the primary instance (although there are less expensive things that can mean much more). In the case of an engagement ring, the point seems a bit moot, but what about a necklace or a watch? If wearing the necklace doesn't remind you of the relationship, what does it say if the ex sees you wearing it. Are you then worried about conveying the wrong message? If you wear it and your current significant other asks you where you got it, how do you respond?

If you can't wear a piece of jewelry, do you keep it in a jewelry box? Give it to someone else? Sell it? Give it back? Goggling it I found more information on MSNBC, and Glamour. . . but since this is a tangent entry, which I sometimes dedicate to issues that may be found in the pages of a quintessential women's magazine, I read on.

Apparently there is a website devoted to selling this stuff! exboyfriendjewelry.com. They had over 2000 entries!

While thinking about how much moola you can get from someone whose treated you poorly sounds justifiable, not to mention a brilliant entrepreneurial idea, my inclination is that more people would be less inclined to part with their gifts in that fashion.

Actually, as someone who has a tough time letting go of old issues of the Economist, I might not be qualified to advise or hypothesize about it, but I'd be interested to know what you ladies do in the cases beyond engagement rings:


2 comments:

Emily said...

I want to know what the celeb devorces do with all of there stuff

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. I have jewelry from my first boyfriend from high school. I never did know what to do with it and now I know. Of course I never wore it but it just didnt seem right to throw it away. I wonder why?