So... I made it :)
My goal was to run the whole thing, and I did (with the exception of a bathroom pit stop at mile 12). It took me close to six hours to do it, but all in all I'm pretty happy with the whole event.
I couldn't have asked for a better race or city to do it in!
Warning: ALL THE DETAILS ( mainly for my own benefit!)
I left the house at 5:20 and got to the race at about 6, and it was cold. I saw a temperature display around mile 4 which said 32, so it must have been colder when I first got there. So cold, I was anxious to check my gear. I was wearing a fleece, a long sleeve cotton t-shirt, a long sleeve running shirt , and my singlet. I asked the race volunteers if it would warm up enough to just wear the singlet, and they said no so I changed my number to the long sleeve running shirt; everything else was discarded at some point in the race. All my runs had been in tank tops up until this one, so I was a bit nervous about not wearing my usual outfit (just because of chaffing), but it ended up being fine, and I was glad to have the long sleeve shirt. They don't call it the windy city for nothing.
The first 45 minutes I was lined up hardly anyone was in the corral, probably because it was so cold, but then finally the sun started to come up and it got crowded. I made friends with the people around me who were first timers. When they started the race thousands of people threw up their extra layers. It was like being at a graduation! It took a good 20 minutes to get up to the starting line, but there was such electricity in the air. I though it was very similar to being in DC for the inauguration, and pretty fitting the race started in Grant park.
Along the streets there were so many people cheering, and beyond being fun, it was helpful.
Literally thousands of people lining the streets were holding their hands up for a high-five, holding signs with phrases like "Toe nails are over-rated" and "Chafe now, brag for ever" that I couldn't help but smile for most of the race. One man was wearing a sweatshirt that said "I came to cheer!" and considering it was 32 degrees out there, it made it all the more special.One thing I forgot: to write my name on something visible for added cheering support. Strangers were calling out any names they saw, and I think it must have really helped psychologically. A friend of a friend actually made me a sign ( her sister was running) and just looking for her sign as I ran probably got me through a lot of the race!
The first half went by pretty quickly. I blinked and six miles passed by, then I was at the half. I had to use the restroom from about mile 8 until I stopped at mile 12 ( and stood in line for about five minutes, although it was the shortest line I'd seen).
Although I didn't have any sections where I wanted to stop, or something was really bothering me, mentally mile 16 and 24 were the toughest. Mile 16 because I realized I still had ten miles to go. That was a bit daunting. Particularly because that meant I had well over 100 minutes left of running. For some reason that was a bit rough to wrap my mind around, but I just let my mind wander after that and got distracted. I'm actually glad I didn't have head phones because I really watched my surroundings. Although I have to admit the patches were stereos were set up were the best parts of the race. The hair on the back of my neck stood up when I ran through those areas, and it was really rejuvenating.
Since it was cold, and I wasn't sweating as much as usual, I was careful not to drink too much. I had gotten sick at the end of the NY half marathon, so I was being extra careful. I didn't carry water with me, but I drank at every other water station or so. While I had walked water stations in NY, I ran through them for the marathon. I brought six gels with me, and had two on the course. This was probably key.
Mile 24 was the longest. It would have been interesting to wear my Nike + to see the difference in my pace, because mile 24 seemed almost too long. I kept saying to myself, no I must have missed the 25 mile marker, I couldn't still be on mile 24. I must have been dragging. At some points I realized speed walking might have been faster than the pace I was shuffling, but I was actually a bit afraid to start walking and not be able to start running again. So I didn't stop.
Mile 25 was the best. One spectator shouted out to me "Come on you've only got blocks left - not miles" smiling. That was the point when I felt really excited. I was really overwhelmed with feelings the last mile. I wasn't just thinking about the training, but finishing school, moving, being alone in this huge city, a whole range of extreme feelings came over me. Needless to say, running into Grant park was awesome. I ran across the finish line with my arms over my head and smiled for the camera.
I'm definitely glad I did it. Maybe I'll do it again some day.
6 comments:
Sar,
You are AMAZING! I loved reading that. Congrats! I rememember walking home from Court's after watching the NYC Marathon last year, and at dusk people were still running up 1st, though some of them limping by then. Though the crowds had cleared, there were still people out on walks and errands cheering them along. It really is almost as invigorating for those cheering you on as well!
This is such a wonderful post - I am so happy for you chica!!! 32 is SO COLD!!! Most important question: Did you have a beer afterward? :)
i got a little teary eyed reading this! i've been waiting for the mile by mile recap from you at rach's wedding but i'm hoping you'll tell it to me in person despite having read this post. you are soooooo inpiring and amazing and wonderful and i'm just so so so proud of you! you are amaizng!!
love it, every last word! congratulations sara!!
Yeah this was by far your best post. I can just feel how you felt through your words. you are amazing.
chills in the beginning. laughter in the middle. tears in the end. SO PROUD OF YOU!!!
love.
Post a Comment