Sunday, October 5, 2008

Queen Bee

In a Thin Pink Line entry Dr. Lois Frankel wrote about working with women who think there is only room for one "Queen Bee", and some tips on how to work with difficult people. It was filed under 'characteristics of women' but I'm sure the author would agree that these rules apply to both sexes. Working in the same office for the last five years or so I've come across my share of unpleasant people, including a doozie my first year. I completely agree with Dr. Frankel's "kill them with kindness rule" but sometimes your stretched out too thin already.

I found a similar list , which had something that I should think about more.
Do you know their 'story'?
You don't know the real story behind your co-worker's unpleasantness. We are not all on the same level of evolution and it could be he/she does not have your skills or ability to cope with stresses and problems in their life, problems that you may know nothing about. There may be a very good explanation for the chip being carried on their shoulders. This does not excuse their behavior, but may explain it or make it easier to live with.

No comments: