Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Started off the day on the wrong foot.

So today I was all -- "I'm gonna take my bike to work" (the bike shop is near my office) to get it registered (there are some benefits to being in this bike commuter club like free passes for parking etc) and tuned up.

Now I only live like 1.5 miles from work, and I have in fact walked it but its quite a busy highway-like road.One of my coworkers suggested this alternative route which has a bike lane so I decided to try that.

Since its so close I was just dressed normally, I even had my boots on and my backback and everything.



Well I took the wrong road. After going 1000 miles an hour down this really steep hill I ended up riding on a pseudo highway for a bit, but I couldn't go back because it was too steep. So I was pedaling really hard up the other side of the hill. For some reason the scary song from Wizard of Oz comes to mind.... except I was pedaling with all my might.



At the top of the hill my chain came off. Again I wasn't properly dressed, and I didn't want to mess around with the grease so I just walked the last mile or so to work. Took me an hour. Luckily that part had a sidewalk.

Got to work and I was soaked. The backpack had quite a bit of stuff in it, so I have drench marks accordingly.

And the bike shop is closed because its a holiday.
And there is free parking because its a holiday.

Sweet.

In other news, happy Veterans Day.

2 comments:

Emily said...

oh my gosh the wizzard of oz music is PERFECT. hahah so funny. Once when I was in rome, I decided to walk to school, which was three miles away but didn't give myself enough time and I ended up hauling ass ..never the less I also had big backpack sweat marks on my back, armpits, under my bra line and not to mention dripping down my face for a good 15 minutes after I made it to school... and then I had to go to class all wet. my seat was of course in the front.

ess said...

you know what this reminds me of...when we were biking together in los alamos and i said, i know where we can go. and the place i had in mind was the truck route. seemed like it had a flat stretch in the car! wrong! we were going so fast i thought my tires were going to fly off. and i did not think i would get back up that hill unless i walked. did not make that mistake twice!