Thursday, June 18, 2009

Purge


flickr image by aldrin_muya


"artifacts of lost relationships" found while moving... for some reason beatrix and I often are synced up in some way, maybe it is the age.

I'm moving this week (and next) ... it is a slow drip since I'll be in transition until October.

Moving always unearths the craziest things.

I used to be hard core into photo collages, of wild summers, college graduation and snapshots of good times. Since the last time we moved, it was within the building, for some reason I never got around to hanging much stuff up, or unpacking everything, so I have quite a bit to sort out. I decided anything I haven't looked at since three years ago when we moved, I'll take a picture of and ditch.

Artifacts of lost relationships also surface. From my most recent ex I have quite a bit of clothing, sweatshirts, t-shirts, random body wash he used left in the sea of toiletries and books. Aside: books especially are my thing. I feel like it is a great way to understand a person if you read the books they like or have found meaning from.

I've though hard on this subject and realize that it is probably best to purge them, rather than give them back. Lord knows I don't need the stuff I left at his place.

Over dinner with a friend last night she noted how driving across country is a great way to start fresh. You don't just hop off a plane and 'boom' -- new life. You miles to think about it. Profound in a way.

Bringing an ex's sweatshirt or two that I enjoy wearing might be practical, but I'd rather start from scratch. Looking forward to it.