Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Breakup Songs

As if I had enough going on on the interwebs I recently bit the bullet and joined Twitter. I'm not yet convinced i can stick it out, but we'll see.

As I searched through the recommended twits or whatever, I came upon all songs considered from NPR, and an article by Bob Boilen was posted: everyone loves a great breakup song. He briefly highlighted a few submissions from a twitter crowd of best breakup songs:




absolutely love
"Leave" by The Swell Season, from the movie Once. This gave me goosebumps:




particularly funny (LTD I always think of you when I see FOTC):


So then I thought about songs I would choose. Lord knows I've got a few gems in my library that embody the breakup spirit that sometimes, despite their melancholy nature, feel good when you're feeling down. Some of my faves:














5 comments:

Emily said...

how bout these:

Ben Harper: Walk Away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FSkL9hMhpE&feature=related

Gwen Stefani: 4 in the morning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OLUSELxFok

Incubus: I Miss You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5RltVM49qM

No Doubt: Don't Speak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR3Vdo5etCQ

Kelly Clarkson: Already Gone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0T3WAbU6tg

Justin Timberlake: Cry Me a River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0

Anonymous said...

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/player/CPRadio_player.aspx?podcast=http://www.thisamericanlife.org/xmlfeeds/339.xml You MUST listen to this episode of this American Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

If that link doesn't work, go to This American Life website and search "phil collins". Then there's this http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Extra_BreakUp.aspx A contest on this very subject.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is Laura, not sure why it's coming up that way.

Ltd. said...

GREAT POST!!! And thanks for the FoTC shout out! "There's just a little bit of dust in my eye,
that's from the path that you made when you said your goodbye". Brilliance.