Most of the time I jog on a paved trail that goes on for more miles than I could ever dream of running. It is nice in the summer because the trees provide a mostly shaded path.
There are plenty of stretches where, as in this photo, the path is so straight I can barely see if runners or bikers up ahead are coming towards me or moving away from me. Especially if I'm not paying attention. Lately, since I've been trying to run without headphones, I've been noticing more of my surroundings. Like this coming or going phenomenon. Sometimes it will take me a full minute or so, watching the person bobbing up or down, to figure it out.
Bear with me for getting all metaphoric, but the other day I realized how similar this is to relationships we have in our lives. Sometimes when you meet people briefly, only peripherally, you're not sure if they will come into your life or go fleetingly. Should you smile and wave as they pass, especially if they are the same people you see every Saturday morning?
Or do you try to catch up to them? Letting their pace distract you from the pace you're comfortable running? It can be disappointing when you realize someone's not the same pace, and you're not going to be running partners.
Sometimes you're not sure if they will run you off the path; sometimes, with their big jumpy dogs, they do.
1 comment:
Wow. I love this.
Post a Comment